I enclose info that I have gathered from old issues of the Nelson County Pioneer at the St. Louis county Public Library and from a few depositions that I found at the Filson club in their manuscript section, and an item or two from the Bullitt County KY GenWeb site.
It does not help me solve my problem of McCarty--McGee family marriages but it does show that they probably knew each other as neighbors.
Descendants of Unknown McGee
Generation No. 1
1. UNKNOWN1 MCGEE.
Children of UNKNOWN MCGEE are:
i. PATRICK2 MCGEE, m. RACHEL MCCARTY.
Notes for PATRICK MCGEE:
1776 McGEE’s Station was in Bourbon County or Cove Spring (so shown), located near Georgetown Road, McGEE's Fork and McCLURE's Run – a branch of COOPER’s Run, built about 1776. Those at this station included: Abijah WOODS (1776); Roger CLEMENTS (1781); Ralph RAYBORNE (1781); Joseph PROCTOR (1782); Dawson WADE and his son James from Greenbrier Co VA (1784); John McGUIRE (soon after 1779); Nicholas PROCTOR (brother of Joseph, to KY in 1778, also at Boonesborough); STROUDS and McGEES, along with a Mrs. WILSON (later at Woodford Co). These names taken from various depositions. There was another McGEE’s station built by David McGEE. No data.
According to the Kentucky State Papers, pages 31, 92, 417, 421, 423 and 458, Captain Wm HARROD’s Company, in 1780 were located at the Stations near the Falls in present Jefferson and Shelby Counties. These included: Capt. Wm HERROD, Lt. James PATTON, Ensign Ed BULGER, Peter BALANCE, Alex. BARR, James BRAND, John BUCKRAS, A. CAMERON, Amos CARPENTER, Sol CARPENTER, Benj. CARTER, Thomas CARTER, Reuben CASE, Thomas COCHRAN, John CONWAY, John CORBLEY, John CRABLE, Robert DICKEY, Daniel DRISKILL, Isaac DYE, Daniel HALL, Wm HALL, John HATT, Evan HENTON, Thomas HENTON, Wm. HICKMAN, A HILL, Andrew HILL, Samuel HINCK (HINCH?), Fred HONAKER, Joseph HUGHES, Rowland HUGHES, Michael HUMBLE, John HUNT, Abram JAMES, John KENNEY, Val. KINDER, Moses KUYKENDALL, John LEWIS, John LINCANT, Samuel POTTINGER, F POTTS, Reuben PREBLE, Urb. RANNER, Benj. RICE, Reed ROBBINS, Thomas SETTLE, Wm. SMILEY, Jacob SPECK, John STAPLETON, James STEWART, James STEWART (2 of them), Daniel STULL, Miner STURGIS, Peter STURGIS, James SULLIVAN, Wm. SWAN, Joseph SWEARINGIN, Samuel SWEARINGIN, Van SWEARINGIN, John.
Collins History Volume 1 adds: John EASTWOOD, Samuel, Samuel FORRESTER, Joseph FRAKES, Samuel FREEZE, John GALLOWAY, WM. GALLOWAY, James GARRISON, Josseph GOINS, Isaac GOODWIN, Samuel GOODWIN, James GUTHRIE, Samuel LYON, Pat McGEE, Samuel MAJOR, Amos MANN, Edward MURDOCH, John MURDOCH, Richard MORRIS, Wm MORRIS, Wm OLDHAM, John PAUL, George PHELPS, Joseph PHELPS, Robt. THORN, Bev. TRENT, Thos. TRIBBLE, Robert TYLER, Abr. CANACRE, Michael VALLETO, Joseph WARFIELD, James WELCH, Abram WHITAKER, Jacob WICKERSHAM and Ed. WILSON.
10. Wm. Pope, Jr. et. al. vs. Thos. Stansberry et al., Bullitt Circuit Ct., Decrees No. 68 Deposition of Isaac Froman, 10 Nov. 1807.
Spring of 1779 The names of the 18 or 20 men in the party described by Froman might be among the following, all of whom were "resedenters" of Brashear's Station in the spring of 1779: Jacob Froman, Sr. & 2 of his sons, Isaac Froman & Jacob Froman, Jr., also his brother Paul Froman; William Brashear, Sr. & his eldest son, Nicholas Ray Brashear; Spencer Collings & Zebulon Collings, brothers; James Daugherty, John Ray & Benjamin Ray, William Overall & John Overall; Nicholas Crist, Sr.; Patrick McGee & Thomas McGee brothers, Thomas Phelps; David Hawkins, Sr., his two sons, John Hawkins & David Hawkins, Jr.; Andrew McMeans; James Young, Conrad Oyler, John Philips & Thomas Philips. This list is incomplete; nor does it necessarily contain the names of the builders of Brashear's Station. Only two are certain: Jacob Froman, Sr. & his son, Isaac.
38. The following list of settlers who resided at Brashear's Station does not pretend to be complete. It is compiled from the court records in Bullitt, Jefferson, and Nelson countles:
Wm. Brashear, Sr. & his family, which included his wife, Anne Brashear, his children: Nicholas Ray Brashear, William Brashear, Jr., Joseph Brashear, Sally Brashear Elizabeth Brashear, Nancy Brashear & Jemima Brashear.
Jacob Froman, Sr., his brother Paul Froman, & Jacob's family which included Jacob Froman, Jr., Isaac Froman, and Absolom Froman.
Thomas Phelps & his children: Anthony Phelps, Guy Phelps, Edwin Phelps, Lucy Phelps.
John Ray, Nicholas Ray, Nicholas Crist, Parmenas Briscoe, Wm. Shain, David Hawkins Sr., David Hawkins, Jr., John Hawkins, James Daugherty, Spencer Collings Wm. E Collings, Thomas Collings, Zebulon Collings, Peter Cummins & his family John R Gaither & Mary, his wife, Ben Pope, Sr. & Ben Pope, Jr., Worden Pope, Elizabeth Cummins, Cornelius Bogart, Wm. Overall & John Overall, Benjamin Ray, Peter Potmy & Nancy, his wife, Timothy Cummins, Fatima McClelland, Sally Thomas, Thomas Dowdall & James Dowdall, Thomas McGee, John McGee & Patrick McGee.
Ben Pope and Patrick McGee
No description of the Salt River ferry would be complete without some mention of Ben Pope and Patrick McGee.
1779 Patrick McGee had arrived at the falls of the Ohio in 1779. Staying there only briefly, he and his family moved inland to Brashear's Station. McGee was a hunter, a land locator, and a salt maker.
The land across Salt River from Dowdall's Station had earlier been claimed by a John Edwards. It was good land and McGee bought it from Edwards.
1780 Patrick McGee on Simpsons Creek.
1783 Ben Pope had settled with his family at the falls of the Ohio in 1779. In 1783 he moved his family to Brashear's Station. A few months later they moved on to Dowdall's.
1784 By this time the ferry was in operation across Salt River. Probably seeing the possibilities for a tavern and resting stop on the south side of the river, Patrick McGee and Ben Pope went together and built a cabin on McGee's land. This was in 1784.
1786 Paul Froman, wife Mary to Patrick McGee, 100 pounds, 1000 acres on Plumb Run, a branch of Simpsons Creek
1787 In 1787, Ben Pope traded some land he owned on the Beech Fork to McGee for the "ferry tract" as McGee's land had come to be known.
1787 Patrick McGee in tithable list taken by James Rogers in Samuels and Jefferies Companies which is probably in the area to West and Northwest of Bardstown, Nelson Co
1788 Patrick Megee Immediately west of Bardstown
That land has remained in the Pope family to this day. The original cabin is now a part of the big Pope farm house. It is now weather boarded and plastered and occupies the northwest corner of the present building. It has been converted into a spacious sitting room and hall. Only the thick walls hint at the time when it stood alone as a protection against Indian attack for travelers about to take the ferry to Dowdall's. The Pope's operated the ferry there for many years.
June 11, 1789 John Edwards, wife Susannah to Patrick McGee 100 pounds, 400 ac. east branches of Buffalo Run, 440 ac. adj. and 560 ac, adj on Salt River
Jan 21 1790 John Edward King to Patrick McGee, 1000 pounds, 1000 acres on sullphur Lick and Camp Run.
February 7, 1790 Patrick McGee, wife Rachel, to Richard Simmons, 100 pounds, 250 acres south side of Salt River, part of Tiltons settlement.
June 1 1791 Patrick McGee, wife Rachel, to Samuel Stigler, 90 pounds, 225 ac. waters of Simpsons Creek, part of 1000 ac. patented to John Edward King.
July 12, 1791 Deed from Patrick McGee and Rachel McGee his wife, to Samuel Stigler, was acknowledged and dower relinquished, and ordered recorded.
1793 Nelson County deed book no. 3, page 107- Samuel selling tract of land where he now lives dated 1793 to James Brown, containing 125 acres. In 1793, Samuel and Sarah sell to Beal Dorsey for 40 pounds current money of the State of Caintucky, 112 1/2 acres of land situated on Simmons Creek, part of a tract of land Samuel received from Patrick McGee, the original land patent in the name of John E. Kine. Another deed dated August 13,1793 selling for 40 pounds current money of the State of Caintucky, 112 1/2 acres to Job Eldridge, also located on Simsons Creek, Nelson Co, Kentucky.
July 8, 1794 Patrick McGee, wife Rachel, to Henry Spillman, 5 sh., 100 acres lying on Plum Run, a fork of Simpson's Creek.
3 more land transactions in July 1794
February 13, 1795 A series of performance bonds from Patrick McGee to various Tichenor family members to deliver deeds before Jan 1, 1798
To Timothy Tichenor, £300, 40 acres waters of Plum run
To Daniel Tichenor, Jr., 100 ac.m waters of Plum Run adj. Robert and Wm. King and Daniel Tichenor, Sr.
To Daniel Tichenor Sr., £300, 40 3/4 ac., waters of Plum Run, adj. Henry Spilman.
Bond from Patrick McGee and John McGee to Daniel Tichenor to deliver deed by 1/1/1798, £1000, 265 3/4 ac., waters of Plum Run, adj Nicholas Langford and Jonathan McCarty.
Sept. 16, 1795 Patrick McGee, wife Rachel, to Nicholas Langford, 40 £ 100 ac., on Plum Run, branch of Simpsons Creek, adj Jonathan Mccarty, George Kurts, Daniel Tichenor
Oct 12, 1795 Patrick McGee, wife Rachel, to Kimbal Carlton,, 50 £ 125 ac., on Plum Run, of Simpsons Creek
Oct 13, 1795 Patrick McGee, wife Rachel, to Jacob Fulkerson, 40 £ 100 ac., on Plum Run of Simpsons Creek, adj Jonathan McCarty
Power of Attorney Between Sept 20,1793 and May 16, 1795 from Samuel Muchmore of Cumberland Co Pa to Patrick McGee to sell lands on waters of Simpsons Creek known as Muchmores Preemption, late the property of his father Shadrack Mcuhmore Decd.
Jan 9, 1799 Jacob Ambrose v. Paul Froman, in covenant. John McGee undertook bail for the defendant. Nelson county, KY Records Vol II by Bettie Cummings Cook C. G.
Jan 9, 1799 John Porter, v. Paul Froman, in covenant. Patrick McGee undertook bail for the defendant. Nelson county, KY Records Vol II by Bettie Cummings Cook C. G.
Notes for RACHEL MCCARTY:
a patrick mcgee married a rachel froman, this marriage here could be wrong??
ii. THOMAS MCGEE.
Notes for THOMAS MCGEE:
June 9, 1781,Thomas McGee entered 500 acres, on the waters of Coxs Creek about two miles northwest from the mouth of Fromans Run to include a poplar marked TM. His heir-at-law, John McGee, surveyed this tract in an area east of the present town of Samuels and a grant was issued in his name by Virginia, Dec. 2, 1785. In 1804, suit was entered by william rogers, heir-at-law of his brother Jonathan, claiming interference with his 400 ac claim. Mcgees defense claimed htat the Rogers entry was vague and undertain, nad idsputed the existence of the marked walnut tree naywhere near his location. the court proceedings include depositions by Evan Williams, William Keith, James rogers and William Chennowith as to the existence of the "waggon road" and rogers trace in 1781. For McGee, Thomas collins, Spencer collins, Zebulon collins, Mathias Weller, Isaac herald and robert Jack gave depositions as the uncertainity of the walnut tree. . . . .. The court decided that Rogers entry was vallid and senior to McGee, thus approximately half of the 500 ac. McGee entry was lost. . . . In 1817, the heirs of John McGee are given as Thomas McGee, James McGee, Nicholas Cartmill, Isaac Cox, Joseph McGee and John B. F. McGee. The case is not concluded until 1818.
iii. JOHN MCGEE, d. Bef. December 22, 1818, Nelson co, Ky; m. ELIZABETH (MCGEE).
Notes for JOHN MCGEE:
May 8, 1787 Benjamin Stevens, wife Hannah of Hunterdon county, state of New Jersey to John McMachen, 372 ac., 150 pounds, on Coxs Creek, adj. John McGee.
December 6, 1788 John Doviett of Post Vincennes to John McGee, 20 Pounds, 150 acres on the north fork of Limestone, eastwardly from Hardins Station.
December 1790 John McGee, wife Elizabeth, to Elizabeth Hoagland, 40 pounds, 100 ac. on the waters of Cox's Creek
Patrick McGee and Abner King did make partition of the lands of which the said John McGee died seized and possessed. 1818 document lists heirs of John McGee
Will of James Sand. Whole estate to wife Martha durning her widowhood and then divided amongst all children, except that youngest sons Samuel and Isaac are to have a double portion. Executors, John McGee, Wm Sands. Witnesses John McGee, Isaac Collings. Probated 10/13/1795
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|